Manager, Proofreader and Property Naming
- Job Number MARJP00080018
- Location Bethesda, MD
- Pay Rate $34.06-49.95/Hour
- Date Posted Oct 18, 2023
- Start Date Immediately
- Number of Positions 1
- Remote Position Type Allows Remote Work
- International Language and translation
Marriott International, Inc. is based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, and encompasses a portfolio of nearly 8,300 properties under 30 leading brands spanning 138 countries and territories and we’re still growing. As the #1 leader in hospitality worldwide, Marriott International has 8,100+ hotel properties and 31 top hotel brands. Unmatched Marriott FLEX opportunities await you! The next step in your career could lead to your greatest adventure.
Be a part of something bigger than yourself, join a team where everyone has a voice. Belong to a community where you are included.
Be inspired by what’s possible and discover your own future. Be challenged, grow and achieve your ambition. At Marriott, be yourself. Begin your purpose, belong to a global community, and become the best version of you. At Marriott…Be you.
NOTE: This is a FLEX Associate Engagement
Position type: Part-time
The FLEX Manager, Proofreader will work within a team of designers, copywriters, account manager, project managers, production designers and producers within Riott House Creative (the Marriott in-house creative studio) to provide editorial support services to Riott Haus as well as other departments in the company when requested.
This role also manages Property Naming Requests, which involves research, ideation, recommendation, and corporate-wide notifications for Marriott brand hotels.
Work within Riott Haus Creative is done in teams and the ability to collaborate with other creative partners and non-creative team members is fundamental to the role.
Education and Experience Required
- Five+ years of experience in copy editing/proofreading
Education and Experience Preferred
- 4-year degree from an accredited university preferred
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
- Reviews all copy for clarity, organization, and conciseness. Edits vague, confusing, or wordy copy to satisfy Marriott International, brand and department standards.
- Corrects grammar, punctuation, capitalization, spelling, and word usage and treatment.
- Reviews the graphic integrity (i.e., legibility of type, format, combination of graphics and text, photos, and illustrations with captions) and recommends changes as required.
- Reviews each round of edits to ensure proper corrections have been made.
- Communicates effectively with project managers to resolve discrepancies regarding client changes, format, editorial requirements, or brand standards.
- Ensures consistency in all editorial or proofreading decisions regarding style and usage.
- Reviews final proofs for release to print.
- Maintains and updates an editorial style guide and proofreading manual for the department (Riott Haus) that includes standards, formats, samples, word usage, rules.
- Ensures Associated Press Style Guide is followed.
- Stays up to date on latest styles, grammar rules and spelling of new and emerging words
Property Naming Requests:
- Develops naming protocols for brands in partnership with Brand Management and Brand Marketing, modeling to other brand naming structures
- Maintains reference archive of all previous name change requests, as well as hotel openings and closings
- Executes updates to naming protocol documents and posting on Marriott’s intranet site when hotel product is modified, enhanced (e.g., addition of feature that could be considered benefit to be included in property name; or property change from one Marriott brand to another)
- Analyzes and evaluates name change requests as they are submitted via formal request
- Presents appropriate hotel name recommendations based on current protocols including justification and suggested preference based on prior decisions precedence
- Executes local hotel area research to assess appropriate name recommendations based on geographic location, names of other hotel properties in the vicinity, proximity to special travel attractions or destinations. Measures distance to suggested names to assure the property name is being positioned accurately to the consumer within threshold of acceptance, e.g., “x” miles to Disneyland. Determines whether property name should align with another nearby Marriott brand hotel.
- Facilitates agreement of name recommendation between brand, property and OFS leadership, as needed
- Reviews monthly hotel development report of potential property signings prior to committee approval. Provides recommendations for hotel names based on market; utilizes Google Maps and SharePoint committee reports.
- Manages process of delivering hotel name updates/changes to large distribution list (internal/external to Marriott); serves as central authority on name changes company wide
- Communicates with hotel owners/management, OASIS, OFS, MARSHA, EPIC Support, eCommerce and other Marriott associates globally
- Establishes and maintains complete and current name change distribution lists for both domestic and international hotels
- Provides current hotel names and status information for brand e-directories
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.