Scrum Master II
- Job Number MARJP00080311
- Location Bethesda, MD
- Pay Rate $45-63/Hour
- Date Posted Sep 14, 2023
- Start Date Immediately
- Number of Positions 2
- Remote Position Type Allows Remote Work
Marriott International, Inc. is based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, and encompasses a portfolio of nearly 8,300 properties under 30 leading brands spanning 138 countries and territories and we’re still growing. As the #1 leader in hospitality worldwide, Marriott International has 8,100+ hotel properties and 31 top hotel brands. Unmatched Marriott FLEX opportunities await you! The next step in your career could lead to your greatest adventure.
Be a part of something bigger than yourself, join a team where everyone has a voice. Belong to a community where you are included.
Be inspired by what’s possible and discover your own future. Be challenged, grow and achieve your ambition. At Marriott, be yourself. Begin your purpose, belong to a global community, and become the best version of you. At Marriott…Be you.
NOTE: This is a FLEX Associate Engagement
Position type: Full-time
The Infrastructure Delivery Scrum Master effectively and efficiently manages the development sprints from planning to execution to review in an agile development environment. This role functions as a servant leader for the Global Workplace Services Endpoint Compliance Product team to ensure organization, execution, and optimization across the team and to deliver value against a shared set of business objectives. Mentor, coach and advise members of the scrum team that operate within the EndPoint Compliance Services product line. Guide and facilitate teams through ceremonies, events, and meetings within the Agile team framework and support Agile best practices including daily stand ups, ensuring the team meets the definition of done, managing story points/burndown, and removing
impediments/barriers. Coaches and collaborates with cross-functional teams, Product Owners, other Scrum Masters to foster decision-making and drive continuous improvement. This role helps develop prioritization processes and communication with leadership and stakeholders. This role will help resolve team level impediments, manage risks and issues, and drive continuous improvement throughout the delivery teams and lifecycle. Possesses an expert level understanding of Agile Scrum principles and practices and understands the unique opportunities and challenges associated with organizing, facilitating, and continuously aligning teams with the guiding business strategy.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree, equivalent experience, or certification. 7+ years’ information technology experience including:
- 4+ years of Agile Delivery experience using Scrum, Kanban and SAFe methodologies 4+ years planning and problem solving with product management and delivery teams 4+ years creating and delivering presentations and project plans.
- 2+ years working with tools such as Atlassian (JIRA/Confluence), Clarity and/or Cloud-based platforms (Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud)
- SAFe 6/5 Certification – SA, SSM, PO/PM, RTE, etc. (Scaled Agile)
- Experience working with product teams supporting compliance and/or cybersecurity related products
- Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Master (CSM), Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) or PMI’s Agile Certified Professional (ACP)
- Servant leadership experience as Scrum Master on an Agile Release Train
- Familiarity with product/project development experience on an Agile Teams in a technology-focused organization
- Ability to align change management strategies with product development/deployments
- Demonstrated experience facilitating meetings at multiple levels of an organization and an understanding of facilitation techniques
- Ability to understand and represent both the business and technology Thrives in a highly collaborative, matrixed, complex, fast paced environment
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading Organizational Delivery
- Facilitates and supports all scrum events: Sprint Planning, Daily Scrum, Refinement, Sprint Review, and Sprint Retrospective
- Responsible for ensuring Scrum is understood and the team adheres to Scrum theory, practice, and guidelines Contributes to the advancement and improvement of Agile practices within the organization
- Works with Agile coaches and other Scrum Masters to grow within the role Acts as servant leader of the Agile Team and directs the initiative delivery team
- Partner with Product Managers to maintain plans and communicate progress of the team. This includes product roadmaps, scrum team metrics, and program/project status reporting
- Develop high-level business requirements including cost estimate for an initiative to determine whether the initiative is justified
- Proactively identifies impediments and resolves using network of peers or escalation if needed
- Guides and coaches the Scrum Team on how to use Lean and Agile practices and principles to deliver high quality products and services to our customers
- Resolves team impediments with other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of the application of Scrum in the organization
- Works with product owners to handle backlogs and new requests
- Optimizes team performance by recognizing areas of strength and improvement and employing appropriate coaching and development techniques
- Works with Scrum Team, as well as internal and external stakeholders, to influence and drive decision making and support organizational project or product teams
- Support the development of behavioral change management, communications and training as needed to drive process and tool adoption, implementation, and compliance
- Collaborate with key stakeholder groups to validate the effectiveness of standard processes and continuously improves process quality.
- Work with Marriott teams to ensure that process-related activities address company needs
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Highly motivated person that is passionate about collaborating with others to drive results and can motivate others to do the same to improve the organization
- Possesses a team-first mentality, has a good sense of humor, is open-minded and proactive
- Sound technical experience with infrastructure that can understand and translate business requests into consumable stories and vice versa
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with a high attention to detail and impeccable time management skills
- Ability to self-manage, recognize and actively address challenges, mediate issues, develop solutions, and implement appropriate courses of action
- Highly proficient with MS Office, Jira and Confluence (or equivalent tools) Ability to expertly read, write and speak in the English language
- Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines are met. Promotes the documenting of project progress accurately.
- Provides input and assistance to other teams regarding projects.
Managing Work, Projects, and Policies
- Manages and implements work and projects as assigned.
- Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc. Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems. Provides timely, accurate, and detailed status reports as requested.
Demonstrating and Applying Discipline Knowledge
- Provides technical expertise and support to persons inside and outside of the department. Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes.
- Demonstrates knowledge of function-specific procedures. Keeps up-to-date technically and applies new knowledge to job.
- Uses computers and computer systems (including hardware and software) to enter data and/ or process information.
Delivering on the Needs of Key Stakeholders
- Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work.
- Determines priorities, schedules, plans and necessary resources to ensure completion of any projects on schedule.
- Collaborates with internal partners and stakeholders to support business/initiative strategies Communicates concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand.
- Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc. Demonstrates an understanding of business priorities
- Provides information to supervisors and co-workers by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates self-confidence, energy and enthusiasm.
- Informs and/or updates leaders on relevant information in a timely manner. Manages time effectively and conducts activities in an organized manner. Presents ideas, expectations and information in a concise, organized manner. Uses problem solving methodology for decision making and follow up.
- Performs other reasonable duties as assigned by manager.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.